Questions to Ask an ADU Professional
You may have heard that it’s a good idea to get at least 3 project bids for your ADU construction project, and to meet potential contractors, architects, and designers in person before choosing your team. But what if you’re not sure what to ask these professionals?
We’ve got you covered with this handy, downloadable guide to hiring an ADU professional, covering some common questions which can help you have a more productive and informative conversation with your future ADU team members.
- How many ADUs have you built, designed, or created a plan set for in the past 2 years?
- Tell me a little bit about a recent ADU project you worked on. What went well, and what could have been better?
- What, if any, challenges arose during construction, and how did you work with the client to resolve them?
- How many projects are you currently working on, or will you be working on, while my project is underway?
- Can you provide references from past clients?
- Can you share photos or videos of past projects?
- Can you share your client ratings on websites like Houzz or Yelp?
** Pro tip: in California, you can verify a contractor’s credentials at the state Department of Consumer Affairs website
- What licenses do you currently have? When will they expire?
- Are you fully bonded and insured?
- Are you a Better Business Bureau Member? What is your score?
- I have a general idea of how I’d like to use my ADU (short/long-term rental, bonus space, housing a relative, etc.) What do you think are critical design features if this is my goal?
- What ADU features should I consider?
- How should we design the ADU to ensure privacy for both the main house and the ADU’s residents?
- How do you help clients determine which features they want in their ADU project?
- Which types of subcontractors will you hire to complete aspects of the project?
- What role do you and your firm have during the actual construction process?
- Will I be working with the contractor directly, or will you manage the contractor?
- How often will you visit the project site?
- How should we communicate? Should we schedule a weekly call or meeting?
- What milestones do you use to ensure that work is completed in a timely manner? What do you consider to be acceptable timelines for completion of these milestones?
- How do you plan to stay on budget? Do you think my budget is realistic, too low, or too high?
Got other questions? We’ve got answers. Book your free ADU consultation with a Revival Homes expert today.